This oh-so-simple pasta dish is a favourite for festivities in Timor Leste. It’s subtle flavours are a perfect accompaniment to foods with stronger flavours such as Tukkir and Seaweed Salad. Berta and Casamata prepared this wholesome dish as part of my farewell party.
Preparation time: 5 mins
Cooking time: 10 mins
You will need
1kg of pasta
1 brown onion
1 green capsicum
3 cloves of garlic
1 handful of fresh small fish such as sardines, or chopped tuna
2 teaspoons of fish sauce
2 teaspoons tofu sauce
1 teaspoon chill sauce
1. Dice the capsicum, 1 tomato, onion and garlic. Add the garlic and onion to a pot with some oil and saute over medium to high heat, then remove from heat and cover.
2. Boil the pasta in water with a little salt
3. When cooked, remove the water and return the pot of pasta to the heat. Add the fish and stir through until heated.
4. Add the sauteed garlic and onion and sauces, and stir through. Add the capsicum and 1 tomato and stir for a few minutes.
5. Remove from pot, add to a serving dish. Slice the remaining tomato into a star (like photo above) and top the pasta with it.
~ Heidi x